Friday, April 29, 2011

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue......


So I wake up at 3:00 in the morning to catch my first sight of the Princess Bride and I can hardly contain myself!  No one else in my house has shared my enthusiasm for the event, so I was on my own!  I was just staring to nod off during the opening pomp and circumstance when I was jolted back to reality with the arrival of Kate and her father at Westminster Abbey.  With minimal fanfare, they got out of the beautiful Rolls Royce, her sister helped her with her train, and they headed for the church.

In line with an old Royal tradition Kate Middleton headed down the aisle  with a sprig of the herb myrtle in her bridal bouquet to symbolize lasting love and fertility just like Princess Diana, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria; before her.  She was a raving beauty in her beautiful new wedding gown that was simply exuberating class as she approached her groom, wearing an understated diamond tiara borrowed from Queen herself; who received the tiara as a gift from her mother on her 18th birthday.  Also in line with Royal tradition, Kate’s gorgeous blue sapphire engagement ring was paired with a royal wedding band made with gold from a mine in Wales, a tradition that began relatively recently with the Queen Mother's wedding in 1923.

It goes without saying while her gown and veil were nothing short of gorgeous,   I would have been overjoyed to see her wearing some of Diana’s pearls.  However, I am not disappointed.  In fact I understand perfectly.  Princess Catherine aka Kate Middleton, has the rest of her life to pay homage to her late mother–in–law, and wear her prized gems whenever she wants to.  All of a sudden, it makes perfect sense to me and I am quite excited for her. Today was her wedding day, the very first day of the rest of her life.  No reason to start it out in the shadow of the former princess who was also so loved by Prince William,  the United Kingdom as well as people from all over the world.  But you can be assured, I will be watching out for sightings of “The Princess and Her Pearls”, as she forges ahead in her new life.  I am certain there will be many of these sightings, because as all pearl lovers know, “the pearl is the queen of gems and the gem of queens”.  Best Wishes to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment